CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Someday Saturday....



Callan's Mom came up with an idea for posts that I love called Someday Saturday. Make sure to check out her blog right here.

Onto my "someday"...

Someday, I'm going to donate lots of money to an organization to offers counseling to children of addicts.

Even at 25 years old, my father's alcoholism has the power to bring me to tears and absolutely stop my productivity. This is something that I'm thinking about right now because of the drunken phone call that I received about an hour ago. I used to deal with the calls much more often and even had the ability to just let my dad go on and on talking nonsense, while I did whatever I was doing when he called. As I've gotten older though, this has become more difficult. At some point a few years ago, my father finally decided to seek help and was even going to regular AA meetings. I was so proud of him whenever we'd go somewhere and he'd have a soft drink instead of liquor. After about a year, my father secretly began drinking again, and out of his embarrassment, he stopped speaking to me, my sister, and everyone else in the family. After landing himself in the hospital with ulcers a couple of years ago, my dad cut back to just a few beers here and there. I know what he's doing to his body and it scares me that he really is out of it when he drinks. Which brings me back to my "someday". I know that I'm not the only one dealing with this, and that I'm very lucky because I have a great support system, but I feel for others who've had to deal with the unfortunate problem of addict parents on their own.

What will you do "someday"?


No comments: